Sunday, September 6, 2015

Wes Craven is on Twitter...


This is what I read that late Sunday night on-line as I was about to go to bed but decided to check the web for news. I thought "Okay, Wes is now joining Twitter... Sound good". For whatever reason, I wanted to read the article but the page wouldn't display and I gave up and went to bed. It was of course the following afternoon, I'd realized that he passed away which added everything up outside of the goofy headline, I'd read. I guess it's a part of life to not be "numb" when you hear that someone you like or admire has passed on. I've vlogged (and I believe blogged) on my favorite film Horror films and
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is still (to date) my number one horror film for its original concept, story and Style. The number of battles I've had with "Freddie Krueger" in my in my dreams were like wrestling feuds... And I now wonder if actor, Robert Englund ever felt aches and pains from these "dream battles" (this would've made an excellent idea for a Craven film based off of his creation.).

I may be alone in this but I really enjoyed more of his less popular films such as "Shocker" and "Deadly Friend" ("B.B., B.B., B.B.").

Another thing I admired about his work was his cinematic feel for small town suburbia. And this style is truly displayed in the "Scream" franchise which feels like clean & quiet place to live but in the reality of the story it's an esoteric psycho ward. I would consider Wes Craven to be the John Hughes for the Horror genre as many of his films dealt with young people in suburbia that dealt with their "Horrific" issues at hand.

As we lose our older cinema icons, I often find myself in search of current filmmakers to see which new films remind me of those classics of the past. It's very slim as some filmmakers offer totally original content and others simply drop the ball altogether.


There will only be ONE Wes Craven

No comments: