Sunday, November 1, 2015

What are you doing for Halloween (Day 4 & 5)?






The night before Halloween, I had a very simple vision that played out better than I could have expected. I'd heard so much about this comic, "The Long Halloween" that I wanted to read it and thus did so and finished faster then I expected, it pulls you in (it's that "slick" and that "good).
It's a crime Mystery as Batman, then Captain Gordon and Harvey Dent ALL work together for the first time to catch the "Holiday" killer that's killing people but only on the holidays with the first being on "Halloween"...

If you're into graphic novels then I suggest reading this whenever you can. I would like to catch up to the rest of the trilogy (Batman: Dark Victory and Catwoman: When in Rome) hopefully by year's end.

Anyhow, by the time I completed the graphic novel it was "movie" time and tonight's pick of the night.
 "Bone Tomahawk" mixes the Western and Horror genres as an unusual group of natives (Cannibals) kidnap a small group of townspeople, one of them being a "disrespectful" small time crook who causes the situation. One of the kidnapped is a Cowboy's wife whom is also the town doctor. The town's Sheriff (played by Kurt Russell) and a small team (including the Cowboy whom has an injured foot). Please keep in mind that this film starts off a bit slow like a Western often does to either build plot or reveal character but it does take off running with what I felt are some surprises. (This is almost a SPOILER so skip this sentence and move to the next), I actually thought this film would have a.... grim ending

I personally have not seen another film within this mixed genre and this set a nice tone and my curiousity to check out others like this. Besides I'm a huge fan of Kurt Russell's and I believe at least three of his films have turned "Regular Joes" into filmmakers.

So I will "sign off" on "Bone Tomahawk” as another creepy offering for a now past "Halloween" but future Halloween flick or just in general...

Halloween Day - Night
I started early as I had planned my day to watch Horror television shows and I started with

Scream Queens:
And offering from the mind of Ryan Murphy (America Horror Show) which revolves around a serial killer thats killing college students on campus mostly focusing on a Sorority house lead by the head bitch Chanel Oberlin (played by strongly by Emma Roberts). And freshman and newly Sorority pledge/sister, Grace Gardner is out to solve these crimes....

Despite some classic clichés (that could be avoided), the Queens moves extrememly fast (killings and all) and the characters are interesting and it's very funny. Roberts can work her ass off and it's cool to see Abigail Breslin on TV. In fact a many these actors could've taken the "stay in films" route but they obviously chose work that was both fun and satisfying for them...

My only question is "Do I want to watch more than one season of "Serial Killers" killing at the same University"? I wish that shows like this ran one season like a seasonal mini series where it can be "Cutting" edge and leave viewers wanting more...

After the six episodes I moved over to the MTV series "Scream".
The show feels like "The Hills" meets the Horror genre. It does have it's moments when certain characters are knocked off. but the direction and character performances feel like episodes of "My So Called Life".

I got to four episodes and I had to stop because it felt like it was slow moving especially after watchin
"Screen Queens" and I wished I had started the MTV series first. And thus I switched because I had to watch my favorite Halloween cartoon. "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown"!


This time around I realized one scene that always slowed that special down is Snoopy's side story ("The Red Baron").  I text my sister to ask if I was alone in my thinking and she quickly responded in agreement.  But every year, it still holds up with me just like the other Charlie Brown specials.

By then, it was "Snack time" Oatmeal cookies and Chocolate Swirl cookies chased down with homemade Coconut, Chocolate milk... (It was "Cheat" day as well but that's another story for another time, Lol).
And I follow up with the Pilot episode of "Ash vs. Evil Dead"... I'm interested, I just wish I had more so I could binge watch... It seems like Sam Raimi has a vision for the show and I can only hope for the best. Again, "Do I want to watch" this type of show season after season with a possibility of concept water down.

Right after that I checked out the other Ryan Murphy Horror show,
"American Horror Story: Lady Gaga!"
Here is what makes this show different is that Murphy changes the story type each season. But I got turned off after Season 2 or 3 because of the show's usage of the same actors it can become a bit uninteresting (for me). I do see the point of allowing actors to play multiple characters but I am turned off... But I have an interest in Lady Gaga
(aka Stefani Germanotta which will more than likely become her screen name as she continues to smash down these various films). I know there's "haters" but I think she's very good and was perfectly cast as a Vampire in this season's show. This show Also moves way faster than "Scream" and keeps you captivated. And I'm more intrigued when Angela Bassett's character comes onto the scene. I can only hope this season continues to get better without the grim ending as the previous season I've watched. I honestly have to re-watch the last episode (4) as I dosed off (long night)....

And thus this is how I capped the "Candy and Costume" night.

AND, I didn't have a single dream...

No comments: